TMG's initiatives to mark one year before the opening of the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games
We are pleased to advise you that the Tokyo Metropolitan Government (TMG) will carry out the following initiatives to mark one year before the opening of the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games. These are part of the TMG’s initiatives to create momentum and build excitement toward the Paralympic Games, as well as to attract more fans and promote para sports.
Please note that all video messages, manga panels, posters and SNS content are in Japanese.
1. Video messages from para athletes:
Video messages from para athletes who are connected to the city of Tokyo and have been selected provisionally to compete at the Paralympic Games will be available on the below websites from Friday 21 August. The videos feature information on their current activities and thoughts towards the Games.
Athletes’ profiles: https://www.2020games.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/taikaijyunbi/paralympics/para_ouen/index.html
2. Video messages from members of the “Council for the success of the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games and barrier-free promotion” will be available online from Friday 21 August.
Members’ profiles: https://www.seisakukikaku.metro.tokyo.lg.jp/cross-efforts/para_barrierfree_member.pdf
3. Manga panels of each Paralympic sport drawn by popular manga artists as well as posters of para athletes will be available online and displayed at the TMG No. 1 Building from Monday 24 August.
Then Nippon Foundation Paralympic Support Center website:
4. Para athletes will share real experiences of when they were happy to have been shown consideration by the people around them, tying in with the TMG’s goal of fostering a society where people help one another, and everyone can enjoy the Games without discomfort, regardless of whether they have any impairment or not. The stories will be available on Twitter from Monday 24 August.
5. Illumination of Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games Venues
Some emblematic venues of the Paralympic Games will be lit up to pay tribute to medical service workers fighting against COVID-19, as well as to cheer on and support athletes preparing for the Games.
To prevent crowds from gathering and help prevent the spread of COVID-19 among spectators, this information is embargoed until the end of the illumination.
Date/Time: Monday 24 August 2020, Sundown – 22:00
Sundown – 20:00 Blue
20:00 – 22:00 Paralympic Symbol colours (red, blue and green)
Venues: Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium
Tokyo Aquatics Centre
Olympic Tower in Komazawa Olympic Park
Tokyo Metropolitan Government No. 1 Building
As a service to our readers, Around the Rings will provide verbatim texts of selected press releases issued by Olympic-related organizations, federations, businesses and sponsors.
These press releases appear as sent to Around the Rings and are not edited for spelling, grammar or punctuation.
Your best source of news about the Olympics is www.aroundtherings.com, for subscribers only