Today: Last Update:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  • Olympics Scandal Cases Closed


    09/16/04

    Alfred LaMont during the Welch and Johnson trial in Salt Lake City last year. (ATR) 
    (ATR) The final page may have been written in the legal proceedings arising from the Salt Lake City bid scandal.

    The only two people convicted of crimes in connection with the scandal received no penalties at their sentencing hearing in U.S. Court in Salt Lake City.

    Alfredo LaMont, at one time the director of international relations for the U.S. Olympic Committee, and David Simmons, a businessman who hired the son of IOC member Un Yong Kim, both had expected leniency in exchange for their testimony in the 2003 trial of bid leaders Tom Welch and Dave Johnson.

    Welch and Johnson went on trial for bribery and related charges, all of which were dismissed for lack of evidence by the judge.

    LaMont and Simmons were charged with breaking tax laws and pleaded guilty in 1999. Their sentencing had been on hold pending completion of their testimony in the case against Welch and Johnson.

    A federal prosecutor says both LaMont and Simmons have paid the outstanding tax bills they owed as a result of their actions.

    Simmons says he was secretly reimbursed by Salt Lake City for the salary his company paid John Kim when he worked in his telecommunications firm.

    LaMont ran afoul of investigators who uncovered payments he received from Salt Lake City to act as a consultant for the bid at the same time he was employed by the USOC.

    More Olympic news of the week in the September 17 issue of Around the Rings.com, for subscribers only.