Today: Last Update:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  • Six Years to Paralympics; 10% of Vancouver Olympians Injured


    09/07/10

    The Rio Paralympics are six years away. (Getty Images)
    Six Years to Rio Paralympics

    The Rio de Janeiro Paralympics are six years away.

    Sep. 7, Brazilian Independence Day, marks the milestone.

    “In its first edition in South America, the competition promises plenty of excitement in terms of 21 disputes between 7 and September 18, 2016” Rio 2016 said in a statement on its website. The statement was not posted on the site’s English section.

    “The competition will build on the experience of Parapan American Games Rio 2007, considered by the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) and the Americas Paralympic Committee (APC) as the best in history.”

    "We would work over the next six years, but certainly will hold an unforgettable Paralympics” said Rio 2016 president Carlos Arthur Nuzman.

    “We learned a lot during the Parapanamerican Games and we are organizing the 2016 Paralympic Games with the same passion and commitment we devote to the Olympics. The Paralympic movement is very strong in Brazil and this will be one of our strengths.”

    287 Injuries in Vancouver

    More than 10 percent of all Vancouver Olympians sustained an injury says a report in the British Journal of Sports Medicine. The report says 287 athletes
    Ice Hockey was found to be one of the most dangerous sports during the Vancouver Olympics. (Getty Images)
    were injured during the Games and another 185 fell ill.

    The numbers came from a study of 82 National Olympic Committee doctors reports.

    Bobsleigh, freestyle skiing, ice hockey, short track speedskating, and snowboard cross were the most dangerous sports with as many as 35 percent of all athletes suffering an injury.

    Curling, freestyle moguls, luge, Nordic skiing, and speedskating were the least dangerous sports.

    Half of the injuries came during training. Most were bruises or other minor injuries.

    The study hopes to find ways of preventing injuries during elite sporting events.

    SASCOC Evades Parliamentary Inquiry

    The South African Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee has some explaining to do, Parliamentary sports committee chairman Butana Komphela told South African media.

    SASCOC president Gideon Sam sent a letter Tuesday informing Parliament that SACOC would not appear to answer questions surrounding the finances of Athletics South Africa and its handling of the Caster Semenya affair.

    "The only difference we have with SASCOC now is their arrogance," Komphela told The Times in Johannesburg.

    "Their issue is forensic audit, but our issue is what led to the forensic audit and that is the debacle of Caster Semenya.

    SASCOC suspended ASA President Leonard Chuene and eight board members last November for lying about their actions during the gender-testing controversy.

    The 19-year-old South African was held out for 11 months while the IAAF conducted tests to determine if she could compete against female runners. She was cleared in July and won her first major race in almost a year last month at Berlin’s Olympic Stadium, site of her 2009 World Championship win in the 800m.

    Semenya hopes to make South Africa's roster for next month’s Commonwealth Games in India.

    Gambia NOC Calls for Election

    The Gambian National Olympic Committee will elect a new president at an extraordinary assembly.

    In a statement released over the weekend, the GNOC said the presidency has “now been declared open”.

    Lang Tombong Tamba, the former president, was sentenced to death for his role in a coup to overthrow the government. He was elected GNOC president last year. Beatrice Allen, the IOC member from Gambia is currently the acting president.

    A date for the election has not been set.

    Abdoulie Touray, a sports administrator is the only announced candidate for GNOC president.

    Russia-USA Rivalry Heats Up Ahead of FIBA World Champs Matchup

    Russia’s basketball coach says the U.S. was not robbed of a gold medal at the 1972 Olympics. (Getty Images)
    Team USA wasn’t robbed of the 1972 Olympic gold, Russian national head coach David Blatt told ESPN.

    “I hate to say it as an American, but it looks like the Russians were right," Blatt said Monday of the controversial finish in Munich.

    "The American team was not cheated. Funny things happened, but in reality it was fair. It was fair."

    With Team USA up by one point with only three seconds remaining, officials gave Russia three chances to inbound the ball after an errant buzzer added confusion to an already tense affair.

    The third try proved a charm as a length-of-the-court pass and buzzer-beating layup gave the Russians a 51-50 win.

    The U.S. was, to that point, 63-0 in Olympic play with seven consecutive golds. All 12 players refused their silver medals after an unsuccessful appeal to a five-man jury that voted along Communist and non-Communist lines.

    Blatt’s comment comes as his Russian squad prepares to face Team USA in the FIBA World Championship quarterfinals Thursday in Istanbul.

    Written by Matthew Grayson.

    For general comments or questions, click here.

    Your best source of news about the Olympics is www.aroundtherings.com, for subscribers only.