Today: Last Update:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  • IOC Wrap - Gender Equality for Buenos Aires 2018; Help for 2024 Bids -- On the Scene


    08/22/15

    (ATR) In an Olympic first, the IOC has achieved gender equality at the Buenos Aires 2018 YOG in the athlete quotas for the event.

    A total of 1,893 women and 1,893 men are set to compete at the YOG. The decision was made by the IOC Executive Board in Beijing this week.

    “This is an excellent step forward. We have made history - to have equal numbers of women and men competing for the first time at an Olympic Games or Youth Olympic Games,” IOC president Thomas Bach said.

    “As well as being another big step in the implementation of Olympic Agenda 2020, this is a great milestone for women’s sport and for the Olympic Movement as a whole.”

    The announcement comes just weeks after the approval of the innovative event 2018 YOG program, which will include BMX freestyle, kiteboarding, beach handball and cross-country running, and record numbers of female and mixed events. The youth-oriented events aim to grow the appeal of the YOG to really young athletes and audiences.

    Bubka Misses World Champs

    Sergey Bubka, IOC member from Ukraine and defeated IAAF presidential candidate, will not be returning to Beijing to attend the World Athletics Championships. Bubka was in the Chinese capital for the IAAF Congress and IOC Executive Board meetings earlier this week but had to go back to Ukraine due to a family illness.

    In a statement, he explained why he was unable to return – as a competitor and IAAF official Bubka has attended every athletics worlds since 1983. “I am deeply disappointed not to be able to join my dear friends from the IAAF and our very best athletes at the World Championships in Beijing,” he said.

    “However a serious illness to a very close family
    Bubka was beaten to the IAAF presidency by Sebastian Coe but had to return to Ukraine on Thursday (ATR)
    member means that, on this occasion, it is my duty is to be with my immediate family at this most difficult and stressful time. I am sure members of the athletics family will understand.

    More Support for 2024 Bids

    From Sept. 15, the official start of the 2024 Olympics race, candidate cities will get more first-hand advice from the IOC and its TOP partners and rights-holding broadcasters. The IOC Executive Board said they would be allowed to provide their knowledge and expertise to the 2024 bids “in an IOC-controlled environment”.

    “The decision is aimed at reducing the costs associated with the candidature process while increasing flexibility and support to the candidate cities,” the IOC said. "The cities will benefit from the vast experience of the TOPs and RHBs, while preserving the integrity and neutrality of the candidature process.”

    Nominations for Athletes’ Commission

    The IOC’s ruling body also agreed to push forward with implementation of Recommendation 40 of its reforms package. All candidates for the Athletes’ Commission elections at Rio 2016 will come from international federations and NOCs that have their own athletes’ panels.

    The IOC said in a statement that this decision reinforces the emphasis on the athletes “being at the heart of the Olympic Movement” and ensures the strongest possible nominations to the Athletes’ Commission.

    Reported in Beijing by Mark Bisson

    For general comments or questions, click here.

    20 Years at #1: Your best source of news about the Olympics is AroundTheRings.com, for subscribers only.