The IAAF is pleased to announce the distinguished panel of experts that will select the Best Athletics Photograph of the Year at the IAAF Athletics Awards 2017 on 24 November.
IAAF Photo Award Panel of Judges
- David Burnett has been a photographer for some fifty years, working for Time, LIFE, National Geographic, and along the way co-founded Contact Press Images, the New York-based Photojournalism agency. He has covered all the Summer Olympic Games since 1984, and two Winter Games. He's been on the jury of World Press Photo three times, and chaired the jury twice.
- Anthony Edgar is the Head of Media Operations at the International Olympic Committee. Passionate about photography, he is curator of the Best of the Olympic Games photographic exhibition and was the producer of the film ONE SHOT, Photographing the Olympic Games for the Olympic Channel.
- Raquel Nunes graduated in Law at Lisbon University. Alongside her work as a lawyer, she has been working in event and sports management. Raquel has taken part in six Olympic Games, including Rio 2016 where she was Venue Press and Photo Operations Manager. She has been the IAAF Photo Commissioner since 2013 and is a Member of the IAAF Media Advisory Group since 2015.
- Dwight Phillips is an American former long jumper. He won four IAAF World Championships titles and the Olympic title in 2004. He also took gold at the 2003 World Indoor Championships. His personal best of 8.74m makes him the joint fifth best jumper of all time. Phillips is also a keen photographer.
- Rafael Segui is an experienced professional photojournalist, plying his craft since 1965. He worked also as Photo Commissioner for IAAF World Athletics Series events from 1997 to 2012 and was part of the IAAF Press Commission from 2004 to 2015.
The panel will first select a shortlist of the top 25 images. They will then select the top three. The finalists will be informed of their selection by 15 November and invited to the IAAF Athletics Awards. The winner will be announced live on stage that evening.
The shortlisted images will also form part of a photography exhibition which will be held alongside the IAAF Athletics Awards from 22-26 November in Monaco.
Any professional photographer who was officially accredited at an athletics event in 2017 was invited to enter. The deadline for entries was 30 October.
The three finalists in the contest for professional photographers will then form the panel to determine the winner of the award for fan photographers, a contest that is running through 10 November. Entries should be submitted via Twitter by using the hashtag #IAAFPhotoOfTheYear.
Full contest rules.
As a service to our readers, Around the Rings will provide verbatim texts of selected press releases issued by Olympic-related organizations, federations, businesses and sponsors.
These press releases appear as sent to Around the Rings and are not edited for spelling, grammar or punctuation.
25 Years at #1: Your best source of news about the Olympics is www.aroundtherings.com, for subscribers only