Today: Last Update:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  • IOC Waits for Boxing Report from YOG


    10/12/18

    (ATR) The IOC will study the results of the boxing tournament at the Youth Olympic Games as part of its review of Olympic boxing federation AIBA.

    IOC Olympic Games Exec. Dir. Christophe Dubi. (OIS)
    The YOG bouts begin Sunday with the medal rounds Oct. 17.

    The federation has been under watch by the IOC since last December. The IOC says it has concerns about the governance, finances and judging of AIBA. Warnings have been issued that boxing could be excluded from the Tokyo Olympics if the IOC is not satisfied with changes that AIBA is making.

    As part of the IOC review, the work of  AIBA referees and judges in Buenos Aires will be checked by auditors from PricewaterhouseCoopers.

    “For us it is extremely important we will be waiting for the report and get the full detail from the sport and judging standpoint,” Christophe Dubi, IOC Executive Director, said to a question from Around the Rings. “It will be very important to get the full report and we have a keen eye on what is happening here.”

    Along with judging, the IOC is concerned about the AIBA presidential election set for November in Moscow. Interim president Gafur Rahimov is the only candidate nominated. The IOC Ethics Commission has advised the federation that Rakhimov is not suitable to be president due to a U.S. Treasury Department designation that says he has ties to an international crime syndicate. Rakhimov denies any association and says he is working to clear his name.

    Serik Konakbayev, the president of the Asian Boxing Confederation, is trying to challenge Rakhimov for the presidency. Konakbayev was not included in the approved candidate list for the election and has since filed an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

    Rakhimov tells Around the Rings he welcomes the appeal to CAS and other candidates for the AIBA presidency.

    Dubi Defends Long Lines

    Organizers dealing with ways to handle the large number of spectators entering YOG venues is a good problem for Buenos Aires 2018, Dubi says.

    “Managing success is the ultimate
    achievement from the organizing standpoint,” Dubi stated at the press conference held at the midpoint of the Games.

    Frequently, spectators can be spotted waiting in long lines outside venues trying to enter YOG competitions. For the 2018 YOG, spectators requested a free bracelet which grants them access to all parks and competition sessions.

    Deconstructing access to the YOG has been a priority for organizers and the IOC, which views the event as a laboratory of new sports and a way to bring an Olympic event directly to children.

    “Free entrance is the right way to go as well it is giving back to the populations and the efforts that have been made is right to do this,” Dubi said. “Free access is right, it works.”

    Dubi said that so far over 500,000 have taken part in the 2018 Youth Olympic Games, including the opening ceremony. The ceremony, which took place on Buenos Aires’ famed Avenida 9 de Julio drew more than 200,000 spectators. Demand to attend the YOG has been so high, organizers said today that no more passes for Buenos Aires 2018 would be issued.


    The IOC said that three million users have viewed the YOG through the Olympic Channel, the 71 rights holders, and over 2,000 video media releases.

    “If you ask where we are on a scale from one to ten at this point,” Dubi said. “We are at an eleven.”

    Coverage of the Buenos Aires 2018 Youth Olympic Games is made possible in part by BA 2018

    Written by Aaron Bauer in Buenos Aires

    For general comments or questions, click here .

    25 Years at # 1: Your best source for news about the Olympics is AroundTheRings.com , for subscribers only.