ROC director general Vladimir Sengleev and President Stanislav Pozdnyakov (ROC)
In Nizhny Novgorod, the Russian city that hosted several matches of the FIFA World Cup 2018, the ceremony of signing a contract and submitting an application to host the 8th TAFISA World Games between the Russian Olympic Committee and The Association For International Sport for All (TAFISA) took place.
The event was attended by ROC President Stanislav Pozdnyakov, ROC Director General Vladimir Sengleev, TAFISA Secretary General Wolfgang Baumann and TAFISA Treasurer Herzel Hagay.
As of now, the Russian Olympic Committee and Nizhny Novgorod, which is located in a picturesque area at the confluence of two large rivers – the Volga and the Oka, officially joined the contest for the right to host the TAFISA World Games in 2024.
The host city of the Games for amateurs will be officially announced in November at the General Assembly of TAFISA in Tokyo.
During the solemn ceremony in the Nizhny Novgorod Kremlin, Stanislav Pozdnyakov stressed that the agreement between the ROC and TAFISA is a precondition for the country's participation in the bidding campaign and will enter into force only if Russia wins the right to host the World Games in 2024.
In this case, the ROC could go down in history as the first National Olympic Committee which organised these major competitions at the amateur level.
– We have taken another important step towards the goal set forth by the Russian Olympic Committee considered to be of the highest priority in terms of the development and promotion of mass sports, – said the President of the ROC. – I must express gratitude to the leadership of TAFISA – in the era of globalisation they do not forget about the national colours.
– The TAFISA World Games provide a unique opportunity to show the whole world the diversity of sports and the national traditions of the host country, to strengthen cultural and sports ties between nations and individual regions. The following fact about the popularity of the Games says it all: three years ago, 60 countries of the world took part in the 6th TAFISA Games, which took place in Jakarta, Indonesia. We hope that in five years, participants from 100 countries will come to Nizhny Novgorod, – said Stanislav Pozdnyakov.
TAFISA Secretary General Wolfgang Baumann
explained why the Russian bid had a high chance of success.
– There are several reasons why the TAFISA World Games should be held in your country. First of all, Russia has been and remains the main driving force in the world of sports and I say this in the broadest sense of the concept. I mean not only in regard to high achievement sports, but also in terms of the number of people involved in regular physical activity specifically for the benefit of health. After today's tour of Nizhny Novgorod and interaction with many people, I have no doubt that this ancient and at the same time modern city will be an excellent platform for the World Games. Furthermore, I would like to make a compliment to the Russian Olympic Committee. There are not so many NOCs in the world that are engaged in the development of mass sports. In this regard, the Russian Olympic Committee has given a worthy example to follow.
ROC and TAFISA representatives with agreement (ROC)
The TAFISA World Games, supported by the IOC and UNESCO, have been held every four years since 1992. They have been hosted by Bonn, Bangkok, Hanover, Busan, Siauliai and Jakarta. In 2020, the TAFISA World Games will be held in Lisbon, Portugal.
The main objectives of these competitions are to preserve the traditional sports, promote new types of sport, encourage cooperation and the exchange of experience between sports enthusiasts from different countries.
From the presentation, which was given today in Nizhny Novgorod by ROC Director General Vladimir Sengleev
, it emerged that the opening ceremony is proposed to be held on the main arena where the FIFA World Cup matches were played last year.
The streets, squares and embankments of Nizhny Novgorod will become venues for the Festival of traditional sports, and on the final day of the Games, participants and guests will get familiar with the sights of the region.
Furthermore, within the framework of the 2024 World Games, an international conference is envisaged which will be dedicated to the development of mass sports and the role of the National Olympic Committees in this sphere.
– We hope that the Russian bid will be successful at the General Assembly of TAFISA in the Japanese capital. Also, we look forward to the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo and I hope that luck will be on our side, – said ROC President Stanislav Pozdnyakov
in his interview with journalists. – Nizhny Novgorod has proven itself as a city capable of hosting large-scale sports tournaments. The city has a rich history and stable dynamics of development. Foreign guests and participants of the World Games 2024, based in Nizhny Novgorod, will be able to fully see the scale, possibilities, and beauty of our vast country. The TAFISA World Games event is not a competition in the generally accepted sense of the word. Sport is diverse and has different goals. Some athletes strive to win medals, others strive to improve their health and promote an active lifestyle. The philosophy of TAFISA closely aligns with such principles and on the whole it coincides with the goals set forth by the ROC to promote Olympic values. What is also very important is that the TAFISA World Games are largely supported by the International Olympic Committee. During our recent conversation, IOC President Thomas Bach
assured me that if the Russian application is successful, the International Olympic Committee will complement the concept of the World Games in Nizhny Novgorod with its own events. This demonstrates the unity of the international sports community in the face of modern challenges.
ROC Director General Vladimir Sengleev
explained why hosting the TAFISA World Games in Russia is important for both the country and the National Olympic Committee:
– As I see it, the Olympic legacy, first and foremost, stands for people who have changed their way of life under the influence of the Olympic Games. What was the main success of the Games in Sochi? The fact that after the Games ended many Russians began to go in for sports more often and take better care of their health. Consequently, there is the need for international events that promote mass sports and the TAFISA World Games are just what we need.
I am sure that if Nizhny Novgorod wins the bidding process and becomes the capital of the TAFISA World Games 2024, Olympic champions of different generations will come to the opening ceremony to this wonderful city and will applaud the amateur sports representatives from 100 countries who will pass through football stadium number one of Nizhny Novgorod Oblast.
The main purpose of the Olympic movement and the Olympic family is in the unity of professionals and amateurs.
As a service to our readers, Around the Rings will provide verbatim texts of selected press releases issued by Olympic-related organizations, federations, businesses and sponsors.
These press releases appear as sent to Around the Rings and are not edited for spelling, grammar or punctuation.
25 Years at #1: Your best source of news about the Olympics is www.aroundtherings.com, for subscribers only